Monday, October 22, 2012

Sunday in pictures

Sometimes, while Nico is sleeping, Gianna or Bode will add some kind of...embellishment to him. It could be a hat, or a pumpkin, or even a toy (sometimes, all three!).  Sometimes, Gianna will just walk by and toss a blanket over Nico. It's not malicious. She's just thinking that he's a baby and he needs a blanket. She doesn't understand that the blanket shouldn't be covering his head.  Needless to say, good intentions or not, I've really got to watch out with these two around the baby.



This Sunday, Nico was sleeping peacefully in his swing (yay) when Gianna decided to hook him up with a hot date.  Meet Brooke:



Nico was not so impressed.  First, his sleep was interrupted and second, this chick is taking up a little too much space. It appears to me that Brooke was a little too forward, a little too eager to make a good impression on Nico.  So naturally, he ignored her.  Brooke needs to learn to play it cool around the boys. I'm surprised that Gianna hasn't schooled her on this yet, because Gianna is an expert at playing it cool with the boys.

Gianna and Bode were there with Nico as chaperones. But really, the date was going nowhere.  I mean, doesn't Nico seem to be saying, "Let's just order dinner already and get this over with."


Later, after Gianna's nap (but nobody else's!), we went to a pumpkin patch. I guess all my heavy hinting finally got to RWF, because after I had said to him, "Well, I guess no pumpkins this year, right. I mean, Halloween is two weeks away...."  He said, "Let's go. Let's do it now."  (uhm, to his credit, he did speak with more enthusiasm than that short response conveys.)

Because it was late afternoon, and we are old parents that don't like to have any fun, we skipped the pumpkin patch - you know, the "carnival atmosphere" pumpkin patch with the 20 different rides, face painting, balloons and mazes. Right now, the babies are young enough that we can get away with skipping these amusements...so we figure that we need to use this to our advantage while we can. Soon, they'll know about these things and we'll have no way of avoiding them!

We went to an apple orchard with pumpkins instead.  As you can guess, I was really happy to be there with my little fam, picking out pumpkins for our house.  RWF and I decided that even though we really like the new-fangled pumpkins that are bright orange, white and green, we are really traditionalists. We like the classic pumpkin.


Bode dressed himself (hence the shorts and no socks).



The babies picked out three pumpkins.  One for Bode, one for Gianna and one for Nico.

My favorite part was trying APPLE CIDER DONUTS!!!  (yes, that deserves ALL CAPS)  I have never had them before. They were cooking them in the little store.  I spied them immediately and whispered to RWF, "Is it possible for us to get three donuts?" (I had to clear it with the other parental unit/my partner before injecting my children with the horrible, awful sugar)  The cashier thought I was asking him, and he replied, "Yes, it is POSSIBLE to get three donuts." He was in high school and probably thought the "possible" was a weird way of me asking. The donuts were incredible...crunchy/crispy exterior with a nice pillowy, airy cake to them, and covered in sugar.  And, they were hot.  Delicious.  I am already daydreaming about driving out to the orchard again, solo (well, with Nico), and just indulging in all the donuts I can eat.   Apple cider donuts? Count me as a fan.

Time to make the donuts.

HAS = #1 fan of apple cider donuts


Who needs fresh, healthy apples when you can mainline sugar from apple cider donuts, I ask you. (just kidding!)


We didn't pick (or buy) any apples. I think the apple picking is over, for the most part.  And we didn't need any apples because I had just bought some at the store! Bah.  Next time, and I do see a next time, we'll go to the orchard and buy some from there.

The weather felt spooky to me: the sky was grey, the air cool with a bit of wind. It was the perfect day for picking out pumpkins (and eating apple cider donuts).
Happy Monday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment