Thursday, November 10, 2011

The post where I admit that I am a hoarder

Today the Salvation Army came by and picked up some furniture from the house.  It is starting to look like we are actually moving!


Another plus, all this packing and purging has helped Bode find some of his "lost" cars.  Yesterday he was thrilled to find Guido.



On the down side, as I get rid of furniture, I'm having to empty drawers.  I don't know what to do with the contents of the drawers!  So instead of just throwing the contents out, or sorting them for Goodwill, I just create piles. Piles of stuff everywhere! I have one pile that contains hairbands, some iPod headphones, a new toothbrush (in the package) and a journal. Easily sortable but somehow, I haven't managed to do it.  And here I've just revealed what a horrible housekeeper/organizer/person I am. So why not just tell all?  I also have piles of random stuff that I'm not sure if it should be packed by the movers, or if it should go with us on the plane, etc. etc.  Yesterday afternoon, I sent my mom an urgent! email asking her what I should do with my spices.  Tossing cinnamon out is one thing, but saffron makes me pause. Later, I thought about how silly this is...spices? Things are getting confusing. At least for me.  But the piles!  They are getting old.  The house, while bare, is really junky with the piles of stuff all over. 

A PILE of new winter boots for everyone.

And just when I get comfortable donating the baby toys, they show renewed interest and love in them!  It makes it so difficult to get rid of anything.  Note: I haven't gotten rid of any baby stuff!


Bob took down the baby gate yesterday. I was so nervous about Gianna handling the stairs once the gate was removed. What a joke (on me).  She's shimmying up and down the stairs like it's nothing.
Helping take down the baby gate. Gianna has her hair brush. Bode is holding the screws.

I am trying to take the babies to the park every day. The weather here is so gorgeous! I am really trying to soak it up while we can. It hit me last night when I was driving home from the park: how absolutely perfect the weather is here, and how we will miss it!





In addition to side-stepping boxes and avoiding piles, I'm also trying to get last-minute errands done. I have a list of things I want done here so I don't have to get it done (immediately) when we get to NY.  Today, Bode got a haircut. I also took him to the shoe store to see if his feet have grown. I bought sneakers for Bode and some tights for Gianna. Then I popped into Baby Gap and saw a cute pink snow bib and (matching) down jacket. I tried the jacket on her, and she looked absolutely adorable. A little pink puffball.  Of course I had to get it for Miss Mia.  It wasn't on my list of things "to do" but I have to have some fun, too, right?
Is anyone watching Parenthood?  We have had 4 episodes to catch up on. I love it. Every night I try to convince Bob that we "have" to watch a Parenthood.  You know, to catch up. It is so great. We are almost caught up. I love that Christina had her baby. I'm worried for Sarah. I feel bad for Crosby. Isn't it great when tv makes you forget about your own issues, and worry about someone else's? (ha) Because the tv characters are REAL, you know. That reminds me, we found a show to watch while in Berlin. We called it the "German Parenthood."  We couldn't figure out when it came on (at first) so every night, I'd ask Bob "Is the German Parenthood on yet?"  It comes on Friday nights, so naturally I think of it for tomorrow night's tv viewing. I will miss it.  I will miss the Peter Krause-type main character and his quirky family. It is weird to get hooked on a show where you don't know what they are saying or what is happening. But trust me, it happens. Bob and I had no idea what they were saying, so we would make up dialogue and story lines as we watched.  Fun times.
Happy Friday!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment