Sunday, November 13, 2011

Moving right along

Today was a long day of waiting, until about 2 PM.  Then, as scheduled, the  moving truck pulled into our driveway. Well, not "the" moving truck.  The big, real moving truck can't get up into these thar hills. So they have a smaller moving truck to "shuttle" the contents of our house to the big moving truck parked 20 miles away. 20 miles! Bob told the driver that he'd show him a closer spot. (ha)  So a moving truck arrived this afternoon. Three men got out.  They laid carpet runners and cardboard down on the hardwood floors and went straight to work.  They worked hard, disappearing into closets and rooms, then emerging with filled boxes. The only noise was from the television that was playing the 49ers and Giants game. Bob told me that we need to be Giants fans now.  Huh?
On yesterday's walk. How I love holding Bode's hand when we walk!

Bode woke up from his nap and I told him that a big moving truck was outside.  He didn't dawdle like he usually does; he let me dress him quickly.  We went outside and stood in the driveway. He studied the moving truck for a long time.  Then I got Gianna up from her nap.  Because it was so crazy inside, we stayed out and played with toys.  It was hard to keep up with the two of them. They were both going in different directions. Bode would disappear to the driveway to watch the men walk up and down the ramp of the moving truck. Gianna would walk around the backyard. Finally, I put them both in the "city stroller" and took Priscilla for a walk.  I put them in the city stroller because the BOB stroller was loaded onto the truck almost immediately. The "city stroller" is a "city stroller" for a reason.  It didn't handle the pathways well at all. A woman came galloping up the pathway on a horse, and I felt stupid using our city stroller. I might as well have been pushing Bode and Gianna in a cardboard box! We cut our walk short and continued playing on the patio. Bode pulled Gianna in the wagon!  This is a first, and I was so surprised to see him do this by himself.  Gianna loved it.  They both giggled like loons whenever Bode bumped into something. 


We have told Bode that we are moving to New York.  He asked me today if we were getting on a plane again.  He asked, "Are we getting on a prane again?" Like all I do is drag this boy to airports!  I told him that we would eventually get on an airplane but the airplane ride would not be as long as Germany. He asked if we were home.  "California is home. Right, Mommy?"  This is what we drilled into his head the night before we left Berlin and for the 19 hours that we traveled "home" to California. It was like a mantra. Probably more for us than him. I felt conflicted about my answer, but I told him that California is our home right now.  I told him tomorrow we would be staying in a hotel. I tried to talk about it like it was an exciting adventure.  "And then!" I concluded, "Then! We will get on an airplane! We will fly to New York!" (Liar. We are actually flying to Boston.)
In the car on the way to get the temporary QEII.  When I asked Bode what he was doing, he replied, "Hiding."

I didn't expect it to be so hard to talk to Bode about moving. We have told him everything. But I'm also leery of putting too many thoughts (scenarios) in his head. First, I try to keep it simple and focus on what is happening in the immediate future. But then, I feel like I am lying to him so I tell him more than he probably needs to know. I am sure he is handling it well. He probably doesn't understand why we went to Berlin. He thinks he's at "home" in California. And he's probably wondering why we are going on another "prane," and what will happen after that.  But I guess it doesn't matter. We'll just settle into our new "home" in New York as quickly as possible.

Tomorrow is going to be another busy, crazy day.  The movers will be here at 8 AM.  The guy who is to pack our washer and dryer will be here at 8:30 AM.  The car transporter will be here between 11 AM and 3 PM to take our cars away.  (Today we picked up our temporary QEII. It is a GMC Yukon XL, about the same size as QEII. Bode wasn't impressed.) Gianna also has a ped appointment at 11 AM tomorrow. I want Gianna's pediatrician to check out Gianna's lip and just give me her blessing that we did everything we could have done (or not done) when Gianna tore her frenum while in Berlin.


This child loves hard-boiled eggs!


It was such a relief to have the movers start packing today.  It will be nice to be on our way. I'm anxious to get moving. I'm anxious to get settled.
Happy weekend.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment