Friday, November 11, 2011

Supermarket sweep



One good thing about this move to New York is that we will have family nearby (well, 2 1/2 hours away).   Part of the reason I am handling this move to New York so well (?) is because we have resources available to us on the other end. 

We arrive in New York really late. Dawn has offered to pick up some groceries and  put them into the house for us. What a relief! It will be so nice to have milk and some other essentials waiting for us when we get in. Last night, I had written up my grocery list. I asked Bob to look it over.  He read the list, with this look of disbelief on his face.  I asked what was wrong with my grocery list.  He said, "This is only to get us through the first night?"   He nixed the list, implying that I had been a little too detailed and the list a little too long.  "You're acting like Dawn is your personal shopper, and you're going to be holed up in the house for  a month."

Really?  Because I thought asking for 1 dozen organic, free range eggs and 3 gallons of whole organic milk was necessary for us, and helpful to Dawn.  I looked over the grocery list again. I conceded that I didn't need to request a block of medium cheddar, a bag of shredded cheddar and a container of shredded parm.

That's when Bob decided to play a joke on his sister. We made up a grocery list of things we "needed" for the one night, "essentials" to get us through the first couple of days in New York. We guffawed and snorted as we named the wackiest groceries we could think of.  We roared, thinking about Dawn picking up gallon jugs of one item and  6 packs of another item. I won't detail our list, because our "wacky" items are actually "real" items to the general public.  (we are the freaks) I will say that some items we laughed about that didn't make the list were a 1 lb bag of Twizzlers and a giant tub of margarine.*  It was hilarious (to us).

I emailed the (wacky) list to Dawn, and waited for her response. We knew that she would see the list and respond, "C'mon you guys...where's the real list?" 

Instead, she took us seriously. She responded, prompting me (nicely) about the more nutritional aspects of food for Bode and Gianna. Where were the fruits and vegetables? What would Gianna eat, or would this food be sufficient for her? 

I told Bob about Dawn's response, and we laughed some more.  Ha, ha, ha.  I laughed into my pillow all night, thinking up more silly "essential" items. We are obviously loopy and in serious need of some comic relief!!!



In the end, I sent Dawn the "real" list, complete with fruit, items to get us through the first couple of days.  Thank you, Dawn, for playing along with us! Sorry that we are so desperate for humor that we had to play a joke on you!  We love you and thank you for all of your help!


On a more serious note, have you donated to your local area food bank yet?  We are fortunate that we can "joke" about buying groceries. I am emptying my pantry and donating some items. I also plan to buy some more canned goods to round out our donation for our local food bank. Think about it.
Happy Friday.
xo

* for the record, I happen to love Twizzlers.  I prefer butter or olive oil over margarine. It was more the absurdity of Dawn searching the grocery store for these "needed" items, than the actual items themselves.  I realize that everyone has different grocery essentials!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'll list the items in your bogus grocery lost: Cheetos, Doritos, jimmy Dean sausage (patties or bulk???), Lucky Charms, Merlot, and Beer. I thought maybe you had lost your marbles! I was trying to envision Bode crunching away on Cheetos and Gianna picking out the yummy marshmallows ! Haahaa!! I did think that the merlot and beer sounded pretty good! I finally did receive the "real" list.....I wonder what will actually show up in your grocery bags! Are you scared??? Lol.

    ReplyDelete