Friday, August 17, 2012

35 weeks: feathering our nest

New t-shirts for the big brother and big sister.

I have slowed down this week.  My summer list has fallen by the way side (what was on that list again?  Splash pad? Check.).  I can barely get myself and the children out of the house before 11 AM (which is crazy because Gianna usually naps 1 hour after).  

I have had some "activity" that scared me into thinking that this baby might come earlier than "scheduled."  When this activity strikes, I recline on the couch, hoping that the activity will dissipate with some rest. My happy babies run, dance and play around me while my mind goes into overdrive with a scrolling list of all the things that need to be done before the baby arrives.  All the million and one little (and big) things that we I have not done.  So after lying down for awhile and determining for myself again, that no, this is not early labor, I get up and proceed as normal. I take the babies outside for play.  I make dinner. Give baths and read stories. And after the babies are all bedded down, I finish something.  RWF will come home late and eat dinner, while I buzz around the kitchen cooking, or folding tiny clothes into neat little squares.   And all the while,  I mentally tally up, and calendar,  all the things that need to be tended to, ASAP. 

Needless to say, I sometimes have  a hard time sleeping at night. This is why one night, RWF found me up at 1 AM, watching an old episode of "Dallas."  I was working on my mental "list" while watching Bobby and J.R. spar over the fate of Southfork.  

Hello, yummy tiny clothes. I want to bury my face into you.

Today, despite having two cranky and uncooperative toddlers in tow, I plowed through our local big box store. I picked up diapers for all babies. I picked up cleaning products and toiletries for every room in the house. Underneath the cart, I shoved jumbo-sized packages of toilet paper and paper towels. I loaded our shopping cart up to the rim (and even tucked some things around Gianna).  My shopping criteria was simple: whatever I could think of that we might need tomorrow or within the next month, I placed into the shopping cart. Check.

Bode got his "back to school" hair cut, and Gianna got a bang trim.  There's another thing off my list. Check.

I have organized Bode's back-to-school clothes. Check.

I bought Fall/Winter clothes and gear for Bode and Gianna. Check.

I washed Baby F's early 0-3 month wardrobe, and rewashed his hand-me-downs.  The blankets, sheets, and other essentials are all washed and stored. Check.

I have made, and froze, veggie chili, white bean and tomato soup, meatballs and marinara sauce.  I have more food to prepare and freeze, but am running out of room (am planning on  huge shopping excursion this weekend, sans children).


"What you're experiencing is normal," my OB told me.  She went on to describe Braxton-Hicks contractions, as if I were a newbie at this pregnancy game.  The truth is, every pregnancy is different. And so I guess that does make me a newbie.

I am "new" again. There's something reassuring in that. A "new" mommy who wants to be prepared. A "new" mommy who thinks that all this preparation makes her organized and in control.  But really, I know better. ;)  A "new" mommy who is going to have to figure out this new baby, and this new configuration of 3.

But what's more important than feeling in control (or, really, of letting go of the illusion of control and just going with the flow), is that I soak up all the time that I have with just these two.  So despite my need to do laundry, to cook, to clean...am spending time with these two outside.  Soaking up the sun and their smiles at the splash pad this past Monday:







This weekend is going to be all about preparing and feathering our nest.  And having fun.
Happy weekend.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment