Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sisters, Aunties

Gift for baby from here


This year, I had one of the best birthday presents ever:  my two sisters visited me us over the weekend!  I was so excited when they pulled up to my house on Friday!  We had a ton of fun just hanging out at the house.  It was Travers weekend in Saratoga - the biggest race weekend.  Saratoga was pretty crazy with people and events.  So we kept things simple - visited Congress Park, Bode and Gianna rode the carousel (and Aunt Claudia rode a horsey with Bode, too!), visited another park, and hit Starbucks several times for coffee talk. 


\






Bode and Gianna had a blast with their two aunts.  I learned something, too: my sister Claudia is a natural with babies.  She has 5 kids (and several grandchildren today), so she's got plenty of experience.  But I had never really seen her "in action" until this visit.  I loved listening to her talk to Bode and Gianna. And, Bode and Gianna loved playing with Aunt Claudia (who, it should be noted, also gives piggy back rides).  Claudia gifted Gianna a new baby doll that actually sucks on a pacifier and bottle (and coos).  Gianna is intrigued, but not so sure about this "real" baby.  I think it was a great gift, to get her "ready" for the newest member to join our house soon.


Claudia is so funny (and, fun), and I love hanging out with her because she always makes  me laugh (and, she tells it like it is, which is a quality I also love about her).










I am so happy that my sister Melinda visited us.  I have been distant from her since my mom died, just because we both are in an emotional space that requires distance.  I am too close to her, too close to the subject of my mom...so space is required, even though I love her dearly and can talk to her about anything. I don't know if that makes sense or not.  It really hasn't affected our relationship/closeness at all.  And I think this visit made things "safe" for us to begin talking regularly again. 

The last time Melinda saw Bode and Gianna, they were both babies. I mean, BABIES.  This is what a good sister Melinda is:  2 months after Bode was born, RWF had a business trip to Korea that he couldn't get out of.  I was a new mom, and a wreck.  I was sleep-deprived, terrified of this new 7 lb tiny creature that was ruling my life, had lost all confidence and ability to think clearly. After many tears and worry, I called Melinda 2 nights (!) before RWF was scheduled to leave and told her my issue.  She booked tickets that night, dropped everything, and flew out to California to help me (my mother came, too).   I don't know how I would have survived without her!



And my sweet sister Melinda gifted the baby a handmade crane mobile. She crafted the cranes and mobile all by herself. Isn't it beautiful?  I love all the colors she used.  Melinda made a pink bird for Gianna, and a blue bird for Bode. And, the buttons used are from BeBe, my maternal grandmother. It is very special, and I love it.  Right now, it is hanging in my kitchen, because that was the only available hook I could find (waiting on RWF to put a hook into the baby's room). Of course, after seeing it, Bode and Gianna want one, too. So Aunt Melinda will be using her origami skills again.





I can't convey how much this visit meant to me.  I felt so loved, having my two sisters take time out of their busy lives and flying from Texas to New York (a long trip!) to see me.  I was very sad to see them go.
Hug your loved ones today. And be thankful for family.
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment