Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My little decision maker

Flashback: Bode Wm eating in the cafe at the  Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin

Yesterday I was lamenting about my inability to make a decision.  But really, I have my own "Magic 8 Ball" decision-maker right here.   His name is Bode William.  And he's very decisive and opinionated for a 3 year old boy. 

Last night, I was making dinner (recipe below). Bode was playing around the dining room table with some random objects he found while I worked on dinner.  He asked, "What is the baby's name?"  I glanced over at him, and asked, "What baby?" thinking that I had missed out on some part of our conversation (or maybe, just the past 8 months of my life?).  "THE baby!" he responded.  I sighed and continued spooning ricotta into a bowl.  "Bode," I said, "I don't know what baby you're talking about..."  "THE BABY!" he screamed.  I yelled back, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT BABY YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. WHAT BABY?" (It had been a long day.)  He looked at me like my head had just dropped off my neck and rolled onto the floor.  "Our baby! Nichoras!"   Oh. That baby. Duh.  I took a deep breath and tried to dial back on the frustration.  "Oh," I continued calmly, "Well. I don't know. I thought you were calling him Nicholas. But we may name him something else."  Bode stood up and looked at me.  "We should name him Nichoras Robert."  And then he turned on his heel and walked down to the playroom.  "Nichoras Robert!" he yelled from the hallway.  "Oh," I said, "Okay. I'll think about it."

Where does he come up with these names?  Robert?!!  

Here is a yummy, quick pasta recipe. Yes, I know that there are a zillion yummy, quick pasta recipes out there.  So what's one more? And, this one is perfect if you happen to have a finicky eater. My finicky eater who also happens to be a great decision maker loved it.  And those of us who are not picky (ahem) liked it a lot, too.


Pasta with Peas, Bacon and Ricotta
by Melanie Rehak, author of Eating for Beginners

10 oz package frozen peas
1/2 lb bacon (I buy nitrate-free)
3-4 tbs fresh ricotta
1 tbs butter
1 lb pasta (penne, rigatoni, rotini or other fun, easy shape for little ones is good)
1/3 lb Parmesan cheese, shredded (or, if you're like me, as much cheese as you'd like)
salt 
pepper

1. Fry bacon until crisp. Tear it up and set aside.  Reserve 2 tbs bacon fat from pan.
2. Put the frozen peas in the pan with the bacon fat. You don't need to thaw the peas. Cook at medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring to thaw and coat the peas.
3. Put the ricotta into a serving bowl. Break it up with a fork, add the butter.
4. Cook the pasta according to directions. Drain and immediately toss in the ricotta/butter mixture. 
5. Add the bacon and peas, toss thoroughly.  Sprinkle with the Parm, and add salt & pepper if desired.

Bode ate every single pea, bacon, and rotini on his plate. He ate this silently and didn't look up from his plate until it was empty.  And then when he was finished, he announced, "I don't like peas.  I don't like cheese. I don't like pasta.  And I don't like...ham...wait...what is this called?"  "Bacon," I answered. "And I don't like bacon."  I stared at his empty plate and said, "Really."  Then he asked, "Can I have some more, Mommy?"   

Win.

Happy Wednesday.
xo



No comments:

Post a Comment