Sunday, August 12, 2012

The weekend

On Friday, I had an OB appointment. I have gained 34 lbs during this pregnancy so far.  That is a lot for me, especially since I still have a few weeks to go! 

Saturday, RWF and I had a date night.  We went to Elizabeth's Table in downtown Saratoga.  I was excited to try this restaurant because I've heard good things about its vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free options.  They have "regular" food on the menu, too.  I was so disappointed.  The service was deplorable.  And the food was not good. Well, RWF's cheeseburger was delicious. But my summer lasagna was a huge disappointment.  It was so disappointing that I complained to the server. When the server suggested a replacement, I refused to order another entree. I even passed on dessert and coffee. (They didn't charge us for the lasagna.) Luckily, my date made up for the poor service and food.  He's a pretty good conversationalist, and he shared his cheeseburger with me!  Afterward, we walked around downtown and RWF treated me to a cafe mocha and a chocolate chip cookie. Sweet!

RWF often works late.  By the time he gets home, I'm ready for sleep (or, already sleeping).  We don't have the time or energy (or in my case, mental capacity) to hold a real conversation so late at night.  So it was nice to have a date night, and time/energy/mental resources to actually talk about things that need attention. 

I've used the baby sitter so much this past week. I am so tired, and lack the energy to schlep my children anywhere. I'm short on patience, too. A large part of it is the heat and humidity. I have a zero-tolerance policy on weather. ;) It really does affect me. So it's great that we have a baby sitter that the children enjoy.  I feel better knowing that the baby sitter is playing with them. And I think RWF would agree that the money spent is well worth their happiness.  Plus, the date night was good for us, too.

Today we went for a walk at Skidmore College.  This one was pretty happy:



So was this one:


And this one, too:


By the time we left the trail, things were bordering on crazy cranky.  RWF had to carry Bode to the car, and I had to carry Gianna to the car.  Not easy for me, as I can barely carry myself anywhere. In the car, Gianna was very vocal about how tired she was, and I looked back and found her sitting in her car seat like this:


She cracks me up.

Before naps, we read stories, which is our usual routine.  I looked out the window and I thought I saw two frisky dogs in our backyard. I didn't have my glasses on.  I stood up to get a closer look and instead, found this:




Sweet little Bambies in our backyard. I love it.  "Look, deer!" I excitedly told the babies.  Bode is pretty ho-hum about deer in his yard.  He's grown up with deer being in his 'hood, in CA and in NY.  But as RWF told him, "You should be excited, Bode. This is pretty neat.  Some people have to wait until they are 35 years old before seeing an actual deer up close." And then RWF looked pointedly at me.  Yes, I had to wait so long. And that is why I get so excited when I see deer. Love them. 
Hope you had a happy weekend!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment