Thursday, June 9, 2011

Park Playdates

Last week's wind and rain has been replaced by sunny blue skies and warm air.  I've been cutting Gianna's nap short in the mornings in order to do some house hunting and errand running. Oh, and let's face it:  hitting Starbucks.  But the babies have enjoyed Starbucks. I have proof.  And, they have enjoyed a couple of park playdates, too.

Enjoying the lights in Starbucks.

Bode mixing his yogurt parfait.

Mommy happy, babies happy.

Bode wore this hat for the first year of his life. Gianna? --Not a fan.

All his toys are being played with by others.


After holding a squirming Gianna for 10 minutes, I finally let her crawl around in the sandbox. Eeek!
Bode brought his construction trucks to the sandbox at the park. This of course attracted the attention of all the boys in the park.  Bode wasn't sure about sharing his toys. I could see the confusion/anger flash over his face when other boys helped themselves to his toys.  After my gentle reminder that it is  a requirement  fun to share with strangers friends at the park, he just let the boys play with the trucks.  I hope that he remains "sweet" like this for awhile. Dammit. I just jinxed myself again, didn't I?

I am dreading the time when Bode becomes more aware of, and participates in, every day things like, not sharing, yelling, pushing, etc.  I know that it's all a part of growing up. But man, he is just so sweet, so pure and good right now.

A few weeks ago, we were at the park. I was leaning on the edge of a play structure, watching Bode.  This little boy walked right up to me and screamed in my face, "GET OUT OF MY WAY!" I blinked, took a deep breath, and calmly replied, "I am not in your way."  I wasn't. I wasn't in anyone's way. This kid was just out of control. I immediately began looking for the responsible adult.  Then the boy did it again. He ran right up to me and yelled, "GET OUT OF MY WAY!" This time, Bode witnessed it and laughed out loud.  I told Bode that we don't yell at people.  But of course, Bode repeated "Get out of my way!" several times. Every time, I would remind him that this was not an acceptable way to talk. He thought it was funny. I was really angry about how this boy yelled, and that Bode witnessed it and thought it was okay, funny even, to talk like that. I worry about Bode changing from sweet boy to this...other...kind of boy. This kind of behavior is what prevents me from enrolling Bode into preschool.  Well, that and the fact that I can't stand the idea of being apart from him. Maybe it is inevitable. Maybe I will read this post one day and laugh and laugh at my naivete.
Today, we went house hunting (again).  There was a fabulous park in the neighborhood. It even had a dog park attached! Too bad I didn't bring Priscilla with us. We stopped and enjoyed the swings. We also watched the doggies in the dog park part. Bode really wanted to go in there. He loves dogs so much!


A similar play structure as our park, but still fun for Bode.

Without socks. Daddy would not approve.

At least her head is covered.

Tire swing = big fun

Removing her hat in the shade.
Do you have any fun weekend plans? I am hoping that we put together a summer list. Do you put together a summer list? Here are a few things I've thought of that I would like to do this summer:  eating ice cream at an ice cream parlour (a first for Bode!), a picnic in the park, the farmer's market, and a visit to the zoo (another first).
Oh, and there are also two major birthdays up ahead!!! I can't believe I have made it this long without an obsessive post about the birthdays!  Here is a hint:


Gianna, one day old
Looking at that pic of Gianna and Bob makes me weepy.
Happy weekend!
xo

P.S. Bob, I know that you don't approve of Gianna being without socks/shoes. But we were in the car forever, and you know that the car seat gets really hot for her. So I let her go sockless while I drove to San Jose. Then we stopped at this park. I didn't realize that I didn't have her socks/shoes with me until we were like 5 miles away from our car (ok, not really 5 miles but it would seem like 5 miles if I had to haul everyone back to the car for a stupid pair of socks). (Oh, and will you please pick up some coffee the next time you are out?) (Oh, and this is how we communicate now, through this blog. Love you!).

P.P.S. to all who are concerned about the above, I am just kidding! (about the communicating through the blog part, not the socks part.)

P.P.P.S. It is really just a way for me to test to see if Bob is reading this blog.

P.P.P.P.S. Kidding!



No comments:

Post a Comment