Monday, June 27, 2011

Remembering Routines and BFF (I hope)

When we are in our  Gianna's bedroom, Bode will ask to get up on our bed.  This has actually happened a lot.  He asks every time we are in there.  And every time, I usually sigh and say, "No, Bode." and then talk about how I need to go do this, or get that, and quickly shoo him out of the bedroom.   The other night, when he asked, it hit me. 

When Bode was the only child, we would play on the bed every night.  It was part of our nighttime routine. He would take a bath, get into pjs, and then I would boost him up onto our big bed for some pillow climbing and tickling. Bob started it as a way to get the "extra energy" out of Bode. We would tucker him out with tickles, read stories, then bed.

The fact that I had completely forgotten this, and then remembering those good times together, made me very sad.  And I of course wondered if Bode was thinking about those times, too, and missing them. (guilt)

So this time, when he asked to get up on our bed, I didn't answer. I didn't say, "No, Bode." I didn't tell him that I need to do this, or get that, and quickly shoo him out of the bedroom.  Without a word, I boosted him up onto the bed. He giggled while he climbed around the bed, rolling onto and off of the pillows.  I scooped up Gianna and put her on the bed.  Babycakes protested, at first.  This was not part of her bedtime routine. And she was ready for sleep.

Even in your brother's hand-me-down pjs and a frownie face, you look cute!

Her brother's giggling got her attention.
What's so funny?

She climbed over to her brother and pulled his hair, as she often does to show her love.

I love you, Bode!

I love you sooooo much, I'm pulling your hair with both hands!

We rolled, tickled and climbed on the bed together.  And then I remembered my iPhone. I wanted to capture this memory. In case I forget again, I will have these photos as a reminder.

And as a reminder to Gianna:  this is your best friend. His name is Bode, and he is your big brother. He makes you very, very happy.

Gianna's BFF
Bode:   thank you for being patient with Mommy (I'm afraid the memory lapse is going to be a common thing as I age). And, thank you for being such a great brother to Gianna.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment