Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Some like it hot

The heat. Oh my, the heat.  I know I am a wimp. I know (as Bob frequently reminds me) that I lived in Texas, where it is above 90 degrees most of the year (okay, not really, but it feels that way sometimes). This week, our temps here are in the 90s with lows in the 60s.  I'm wilting.

Babycakes is doing much better. Thank you, everyone, for your concern and good thoughts.  Unfortunately, the fever was not due to teething, as I had optimistically naively stupidly thought. Her fever just kept climbing.  And finally, when it reached 104 degrees, I was "allowed" to bring her in for an appointment. 104 degrees!!! I had no idea that babies could have such high temps for so long. It was so frightening to read the thermometer. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. Really, it got to the point that I could just feel Gianna's forehead and guess the temp. Friday night was brutal, with a pediatrician visit and a visit to Urgent Care, but we survived. My poor baby went through so much.  Her fever broke on Sunday, and a few minutes after that, the e.r. pediatrician called and diagnosed her with a virus.  Today, she is looking and acting so much better. What a relief. And, my favorite thing right now is when I pick her up from a nap:  a smiling baby with a cool forehead!

So Sunday night, I knew I was going to be under house arrest for a few days while Gianna recovered. I put the babies to bed, and then ran out to the store for groceries. FYI, I despise doing any kind of "work" after I put the babies to bed.  I feel like I am "off work" once those little ones are sleeping. So running to the store was not high on my "want" list.  But it was a "need" so I went.  While shopping, I found this gluten-free pizza dough mix, and thought that sounded...interesting.  Bob has been gluten-free for too long.  I miss pizza!  So tonight, Bode and I made pizza.  Why I *choose* to make pizza on one of the hottest days this year, (a sweltering 92 degrees), I can not explain. Maybe I want to see how hot I can take it. So I crank up our range to 425 degrees, and put a pot of tomatoes on the stovetop to boil because hey! if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

Okay, that made no sense.  Here is Bode topping our pie.  He enjoyed putting piles of cheese and veggies on one part of the pizza dough. I had to remind him to spread things out. 


"I do it myself"

His shirt is wet, but his hands are clean.

More cheese, please.

The finished product (after we ate more than half of it)

The dough came out pretty good, considering (considering: it is gluten-free, considering: I have never made pizza dough, considering: we were all starving, etc.). Of course, I would have preferred a thinner crust.  But it was fun to make and to eat (even though our house felt like the inside of an oven).
Stay cool.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment