Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The weekend

"Cheeseburger, cheeseburger."
On Thursday, I packed the babies, a lunch box of snacks, milk, and a big bottle of water into the car. We went searching for a new home.  After viewing three houses, I was completely discouraged and exhausted (meanwhile, the babies were laughing it up in the backseat). We came back to our little town and I treated Bode to a cheeseburger lunch.  This boy loves to eat out. It is so much fun taking him places. I hope that he is always like that. (Did I just jinx myself?)


On Friday, we stayed home. I refused to do any more driving. Plus, it was rainy and cool.  We stayed inside and played "Bus" (where Bode and Gianna "ride" a playhouse bus around the house).


Main Street Burgers  = Saturday night fun!

On Saturday, we did our usual: errands, a walk, naps.  Bob had evening plans and so I was psyching myself up to "solo parent" at church.  But then Bob joined us anyway.  It was the way it should be: family in church together.  Bob had to leave early to attend his meeting.  Bode, Gianna and I walked in the rain (!) to our favorite burger spot in Los Gatos (Uncle Craig knows the place!).  I missed Bob and wished that he could join us, but I didn't miss him enough to NOT get burgers, if you know what I mean. A girl has got to eat! And Bode loves hanging out in restaurants, it seems (see above).


Digging for worms.

Playing construction.

Construction trucks on the move.
On Sunday, Bode and I took a walk around our neighborhood while Bob stayed home with a napping Gianna.  It was strange to push the "single" stroller around.  Afterward, we weeded our little garden and dug up worms and roly-poly bugs.  We played construction with his construction trucks and Duplo blocks.

But the BEST part was still to come.  We put Bode down for an early nap so that we could attend our town's annual picnic. He didn't sleep. But we went anyway.  This is Bode's third year to attend. This was the best year because Bode could enjoy it.  He loved all the sights and sounds of the picnic.  This was the first year that he was able to play in the bounce house. The first year he was able to ride a pony. The first year that he rode the train. Many "firsts" that I have been excited to watch him enjoy.

On the "train" with Daddy.

The bounce house. He didn't know what to do, and loved being bounced around while the others jumped.


Giddyup.

But this one?  This one is slowly showing her sass. You put her down on the ground and she crawls away from you at breakneck speed. We sat down for our picnic lunch (thank you, firemen) and she decided to help herself to Bode's meal.  First, she grabbed his hotdog. Then she went for his bun. And then?  Then she kept grabbing his beans.  Whole fistfuls of beans. She tore up the bun that I gave her to eat. She ate the watermelon, though. She knows a good thing when she sees it. Gianna was such a mess after lunch. And of course, Mother of the Year did not pack any spare clothes. So we walked around the picnic all covered in beans and barbequed chicken, thanks to little Miss Mia Sasspants.

Gimme that!

Mmm. Watermelon.


Little crumb snatcher, as my dad would say.

Our little hobo child with the filthy socks, who steals food right off her brother's plate.
I didn't immediately notice Gianna grabbing Bode's food because I was busy eating. I was starving by the time I got through the food line and smiled at all the good-looking hard-working firemen serving the picnic food.  I handed plates of hot dogs, beans and salad to Bode and Bob. Then I plopped down on the ground and started inhaling my food.  Those of you who know me, know that I am not exaggerating when I say that I was inhaling food.  At one point, I took a bite of hamburger (veggie burger) and swallowed.  It got stuck in my throat. I tried to swallow, no go. I tried coughing.  I sat and breathed through my nose for a second and thought about my options.  I remember thinking, "Well, Heather, if you're going to choke, this is the place to do it."  There were, after all, about 15 firemen/paramedics in front of me.  I stood up, hoping gravity would work the burger down my throat. Bob looked at me and asked, "What's going on?"  (and, dear readers, please don't mistake this for a concerned, what-is-wrong-with-the-love-of-my-life question. No, this was a casual, almost blase, "Why are you disturbing my peace" inquiry) I coughed and coughed.  And shrugged. Then it cleared. Thank God. It cleared.  I vow to chew my food from now on. I encourage you to do the same (unless you want to attract the attention of a good-looking hard-working fireman).

When we returned home, the babies went immediately into the bathtub. I knew that at least one of them needed a good scrubbing. Bode was so exhausted from the picnic that he asked me if he could go to bed while we were eating dinner!  Now that is a first.
Happy boy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, these pictures are wonderful! What a happy time out for the
    Fiordalice family!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete