Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bode Wm: 45 months



Dear Bode,
This month was your sister's 2nd birthday.  You were so great about this event. There was no jealousy, and no "what-about-me" symptoms were displayed. In fact, you were the opposite. You were excited for Gianna to turn 2, and to celebrate her birthday with her. You had fun making plans, and decorating the house for her birthday.  When I asked you if we should have rolls or  soft tacos for the birthday dinner brisket, you replied, "Let's have tacos, because it will be more fun for Gianna's birthday." You had so much fun picking out cupcakes, insisting that Gianna would like pink frosting. And all day, you were wishing her "Happy Birthday" with a big smile.  I loved your enthusiasm and happiness for your baby sister (and she adores you, too!).

You love dressing up right now.  You'll wear Gianna's tutu skirts and dance around the house.  Gianna received some jewelry for her birthday and you love wearing the necklaces and bracelet.  If I put  Gianna's hair up, you ask that I do the same for you. Unfortunately for you, your hair is now in a super-short boy cut, so no hair accoutrements.  Today at the park, a little boy gave you a hard time about the bracelet you were wearing.  "Why are you wearing a bracelet? " he sneered, "You're not a girl, are you?"  You had no reply, and just looked at him for a few minutes.  Well. I probably should have just left the conversation alone. But I had to say something.  My first response would not have been appropriate, and if I am honest, the language was really not appropriate, for a child.  Instead, I told that boy that you could wear whatever you want to, and that you were infinitely more creative in dress in your multi-colored beaded bracelet and straw fedora than he was in his stupid Spiderman swim trunks.    Okay, I didn't really say that. But I did try to impart a small lesson about "to each his own."  Bode, please keep your creativity and individuality.  It is what makes you "Bode," and why everyone loves you so much.

You are in a picky eating stage. You still refuse most red foods (tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, etc.) and anything with a sauce.  Often you will sit down and not eat anything,  wait a few minutes and then announce, "I'm done!"  Daddy is good at cajoling you into eating a few bites of food.  Your negotiation skillz need a bit of work.  Daddy or I will state, "Eat 3 bites of [x]" and you'll counter, "No, 4 bites!"  to which we readily agree.  Sometimes when we agree quickly, you think you're being hoodwinked, and will counter again, "No, 5 bites!"  We'll enjoy this strategy for as long as we can.

You are a high energy little boy, and you are starting to say, "no" when I tell you things that you need to do, or you sometimes just ignore my request completely. This is a struggle for me.  My default reaction is to think, "How dare you defy me!"  and I realize that is not appropriate for the situation, or you, because you are never actually defying me (at least, not at this time).  I am working on distraction measures, and other parenting tricks skills, that sadly, I find I am deficient in so far into my career as a mother.  You are forgiving, and seem to put up with my trials with good spirit.  

This past month, we told you that you'll have a new little brother soon. You've already named him "Nichoras" (Nicholas) and refuse to consider any other name.  You often ask if "Nichoras" is happy.  I have to tell you, that with you around, "Nichoras" will always be happy.  

I love that you and Gianna are so close. I love that you're happy to have a new little brother on the way.  I love that you are happy to be home with us all the time.  But I also know that you need more.  Next week, you start camp. I hope that you enjoy it. I am anxious for you to be around other children your age again. I know that other kids will benefit from your happiness and fun spirit, too.
Happy 45 months to my happy little guy.  I love you so much!
Mommy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment