Monday, July 16, 2012

Splash

Miss Independent

This morning, Gianna woke at 6:30 A.M.  This is super early for her (and Bode).  She was kicking her crib and shouting, but in a happy way.  I decided that I had better get to her quickly, before she woke up Bode.  I went in, and she was fine.  "Hi, Mommy," she said, just like she always does.  No diaper leaks, no poopy diaper...so why was she up?   I thought about asking her to please stay in her crib for another hour. But then thought, "She's up..."  So I got her up and dressed. We went downstairs quietly. And while I was getting breakfast together, I watched as she opened up the screen door and slipped out on the patio.  "Now wait just a minute...." I thought.  "Who did she think she was, leaving this house without telling me?  Who was this 2 year old, this baby who now opens doors and goes outside by herself?" I immediately switched into my defensive, lecturing mother stance. But then I took a deep breath. I peeked out the kitchen window and watched her make her way, barefoot, down the deck stairs and onto the dewy grass.  She stepped gingerly, but quickly, making her way around to the front of the house.  I thought about running out there and giving her some parental "guidance," in the form of a lecture about how "we" don't just let ourselves outside and go away by ourselves. Instead, I opened the garage door and ran outside quickly to meet her.  Our paths met, and she looked up, surprised. "Hi, Mommy," she said again.  I smiled, and told her that she needs to tell me if she is going outside so that I can be with her (no lecture, just a friendly chat) and asked her to please put on her shoes.  She put on her shoes and then we walked around the yard together, picking up acorns and pine cones, inspecting flowers and fallen leaves. 

After awhile, we came back inside for some milk and coffee. We sat on the couch and talked. RWF joined us, tickling Gianna while we discussed our weekly agenda. Bode slept an hour later than he normally does, and so the house was quiet and calm.  It was  a peaceful, easy morning.  (and I've made a mental note that the screen door must be locked at all times)



Today we went to a park with a splash pad. It is on our summer list, so it had to be done, right?  Honestly, every time I drove by the splash pad, I'd feel so guilty that I hadn't taken Bode and Gianna there yet.  Mondays are usually my errand-running days.  Today I didn't have an errand (because I ran errands late Saturday night) so I thought that today would be the perfect day for the splash pad. And it was.









Instead of watching my clock, I watched them. I watched as they splashed and played. I watched, until they started showing signs of being tired. When Gianna laid down on the ground, letting the spray just fall over her like so much rain, I knew it was time to leave.  I gathered our things and gently told them that it was time to  go home.  They were ready, and complied without too much resistance. I wrapped Gianna in her towel and she collapsed into my arms, a tired baby bundle to carry to the car.  We were there for an hour and 45 minutes. Had I been watching my clock and sticking to "the schedule," we would have stayed for exactly 1 hour (and I would have fought them for a good 20 minutes trying to get them to leave, before dragging them both to the car).  (Note to self: sometimes, things just work out if you leave things alone and just go with the flow).

Saturday we went for a family swim.  It worked out really well having one child per parent.  First, RWF swam with Gianna while I swam with Bode. Then we switched.  I think the babies enjoyed it, too.  Gianna was on her back and kicking (with RWF holding her). She is a fish in the water, completely at home.

Sunday I cleaned like crazy.  I got so much cleaning done early in the morning, while RWF was on his bike ride. RWF was so impressed.  He kept saying, "I can't believe how much you did," and as if trying to motivate me in the future, adding, "...and it didn't take you that long, either."  Uhm. Yeah.  (Wrong!)  It was a lot of work, but worth it. It is really nice having a completely clean house. I was completely whipped by 5 PM though.  We ate out all weekend (and Thursday, too).   

Bode starts camp again tomorrow.  I really hope that he is enjoying this and getting something out of it. And I hope to use one day this week to do a fun activity for Gianna.  

Successful days like today (waking with Gianna, being at the splash pad) make me feel so good!  It has been a long time since I've felt like I've had an easy time of it (mothering).  When days like this come, when the mothering is easy and doesn't require any thought or stress, I think of my own mother. I think sometimes that she is giving me a nudge, and a wink,  prompting, "This is how it is done."  She was, after all, an expert. 

Happy birthday to my sweet brother!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment